Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Things Look Different From Up Here

Things Look Different From Up Here

1 Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand. 2 Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth. 3 For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 And when Christ, who is your life, is revealed to the whole world, you will share in all his glory. NLT

Colossians 3:1-3

Mount Erie/San Juan Islands

Do you ever feel desperate to rise above the stresses of life and get a new perspective? I do.

I live in the Pacific Northwest and serve as missionary. I am surrounded by the majesty of the Cascade Mountains to the east, the Olympic Range to the west, and the San Juan Islands to the north. But I don’t live in the serenity of the mountains. I live at sea level amidst masses of people, buildings, and concrete. I help people navigate the hurts and hang-ups of life, all the while trying to manage my own life and family well. Down here the stresses of life can rise steadily, like a pressure cooker, and I need periodic breaks to rise above them, both physically and spiritually.

One such place where I have gotten refreshed and gained perspective is Mount Erie near Anacortes, WA. The south side of this mountain is a vertical wall of granite overlooking the San Juan Islands. It is a coveted destination for rock climbers from around the world. In my younger days, I was one of those rock hounds. The first time I climbed this crag, I was intensely focused on each move. Climbers refer to difficult moves as ‘problems’. Near the top, exhausted, I found a ledge to rest on. The day was crystal clear. As my muscles recovered, I drank in the panoramic vista of the San Juan Islands and the Cascade Mountains. I could see Mount Baker and Mount Rainier clearly, though they are separated by more than a hundred miles. These snow-covered volcanoes stand like massive sentries guarding an entire mountain range. After a few moments, drinking in the grandeur, I became aware that I was smiling. It was a big, open-mouthed, wide-eyed grin. But why? It certainly wasn’t about me. Most of the time my sense of happiness and fulfillment is connected to being validated, accepted, or appreciated by others. This was very different.

What happened on that ledge can be summed up in one word, “Majesty.” My souls thirsts for majesty. It is the fingerprint of God on all creation. There is a venue of ultimate majesty. It is throne of God. Jesus Christ sits in the place of honor beside the Father’s throne. Colossians three unveils a critical truth for followers of Christ. Our ‘real life’ is hidden in Christ and we are spiritually seated with Him in this place of honor! Because of this we are destined to share in, “…all of His glory.” Keeping this in mind can give our hearts a good measure of peace in a world where it is a scarce commodity.

Because of God’s grace we do not have to strive, climb, and exhaust ourselves to achieve this lofty position. Jesus did all the work. He climbed the arduous hill to Calvary’s cross. He suffered and died in our place to pay the price for our sins. When we receive Him by faith, we are forgiven of our sins and given this exalted position through the grace of God. But life down here can still be burdensome. A great source of strength for our journey is the grand and lofty view that because of Jesus, our position in heaven is secure, our real life is hidden in Him, and we will someday share in all His glory!

1 comment: