Monday, May 5, 2014

Prayer of Examen

The Ancient Prayer of Examen – Developed by St. Ignatius of Loyola

The Daily Examen is a technique of prayerful reflection on the events of the day in order to detect God’s presence and discern his direction for us.  It is designed for those who have made the decision to follow Jesus. Click here if you want to begin the journey of following Christ. The Examen is an ancient practice in the Church that can help us see God’s hand at work in our whole experience. It is “tracing the fingerprints of God” and opening oneself up to the “scrutiny of Love” in order to overcome sins and folly by His grace. In Ignatian Spirituality, journaling the Daily Examen created a way of remembering God’s faithfulness and producing field-notes for others on the Way. I (Tim) am finding it to be a helpful discipline for my walk with my Lord. My choices during the day are affected by the realization that I will be sitting on the couch with my Father at the end of my day doing this.

Paretus - Preparation
I come to you, my Father, through the grace of Jesus Christ

Deo Gratias - God, thank you.

I thank you, God, for always being with me, but I am especially grateful that you are with me right now.

Spiritus Sancti - God, grant the Holy Spirit.
                                                                                                                          God, let the Holy Spirit enlighten my mind and warm my heart that I may know where and how we have been together this day.

Reflection - Consulo 
God, let me look at my day.
                                                                                                                                           God, where have I felt your presence, seen your face, heard your word this day?

God, where have I ignored you, run from you, perhaps even rejected you this day?

Repentance - Penantentia 
God, let me be grateful and ask forgiveness.
                               
God, I thank you for the times this day we have been together and worked together.

God, I am sorry for the ways that I have offended you. What have I done or left undone that I need forgiveness for? Please grant me the grace of Your forgiveness in these areas through Jesus Christ. 

Direction - Directio God,

God, I ask that you draw me ever closer to you this day and tomorrow.

God, you are the God of my life—I thank you, in Jesus' name. Amen





No comments:

Post a Comment